Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Patriots Report: 2009/2010 AFC East Predictions

In the last two years, I correctly predicted the exact number of games the Patriots would win in the regular season. If I were a gambling man, I could be a millionaire by now.

I annoyed Dolphins and Bills fans by sending them a "Weekly Patriots Report" (which was often about the Celtics, Bruins and Red Sox as well) proclaiming the just and rightful superiority of all sports New England. I went against all conventional wisdom and predicted the Pats would go undefeated in the regular season in 2007 (of course I said that in 2006 as well). I also claimed the Giants are rightfully the "New Jersey Giants" because they are the only team in the world (with the exception of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim) that has the audacity not to name themselves after where they play. And now I humbly have to admit that I didn't see them or the hapless Dolphins coming.

This year is going to be different. If February to December 2008 was Paradise Lost, 2009/2010 will be Paradise Restored. Mark it down. My public record for the regular season is impeccable up to this point. I began this blog for this very reason. Without the few friends who received my weekly email report, there would be no one to confirm my uncanny accuracy. If only I had started this blog two years ago, I might have gathered quite a following by now.

But if you are a gambler, don't listen to anything I say. I can't be perfect forever.

Or so the theory goes.

2009/2010 AFC East Predictions

People think the AFC East is a pretty strong division, but the results last year were skewed by two losses of the Patriots to New York and Miami. This season, the schedule is tougher for the Jets and the Dolphins, but easier for the Patriots. Each team in the AFC East plays four very tough teams in the NFC South and the AFC South. I see these as almost sure losses for every team in the AFC East except the Pats.

New England 13-3
The Pats will better be two games better than last year's 11-5 mark. In fact, I am tempted to put them at 16-0 again, but realism tells me that even the best team is going to lose a few. There is a likely chance that they will post similar offensive numbers as 2007/08. The big question is their defense. But barring injuries, they should be considered a lock for the post-season.

Buffalo 9-7
I see Buffalo as under-performing last season mainly due to injuries late in the season. They'll take three of six games within their own division and will manage to win five more somewhere else. And they'll have a shot at the Wild Card. Whoo Hoo!

Miami 7-9
Ironically, their Achilles' heel is going to be their unexpected success of last year. After finishing last in 2007, the Dolphins played two last place teams in 2008. It's also telling that they eked out narrow wins in several games against truly bad teams. This year, they will lose big against two allotted first place opponents. They also will drop both games to the Pats who will be hyped up for revenge. Everyone has Miami as the outside threat to win the AFC East. But with the uncertain quarterback situation, I think I am being generous to predict only 9 losses.

New York 7-9
Sadly, the Jets handed the Dolphins the division in the last game against Miami last season. When they realized they were mathematically eliminated, they turned a game they still had a shot to win into a joke. I don't believe in karma in sports, but I am making an exception here.

Patriots Schedule Schedule 2009

I'll make a prediction about the first game later this week. Buffalo at home should be a blow-out. But by how much? I'll tell you later. Then week by week, I'll give a final score prediction. For now, I've marked the four tough games I think they could lose in red. I think they'll win at least one of these and have no problem with the rest of their schedule. As I wrote above, these are four very tough teams. But then again, the Pats will be favored in at least three of these games because they play at home.

Something bothers me about the away game against Houston at the very end. If the Pats have their seeding all wrapped up by that date, it could mean a game to start their secondary.

Week 1 -- 9/14 -- vs. Buf
Week 2 -- 9/20 -- @ NYJ
Week 3 -- 9/27 -- vs. Atl
Week 4 -- 10/4 -- vs. Bal
Week 5 -- 10/11 -- @ Den
Week 6 -- 10/18 -- vs. Ten
Week 7 -- 10/25 -- @ TB
Week 8 -- Bye Week
Week 9 -- 11/8 -- vs. Mia
10 -- 11/15 @ Ind
11 -- 11/22 -- vs. NYJ
12 -- 11/30 -- @ NO
13 -- 12/6 -- @ Mia
14 -- 12/13 -- vs. Car
15 -- 12/20 -- @ Buf
16 -- 12/27 -- vs. Jac
17 -- 1/3 -- @ Hou

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you should learn to read more than talk. Peter King, of Sports Illustrated, also predicted the Patriots would go 13-3. So, you pretty much stole that from him. Except that he claimed New England would go all the way to the Super Bowl and barely beat the Bears by 30-27.

    Peter however was smart enough to put the Dolphins at 8-8 (in 2nd place) since he actually reads about other teams (unlike you). He also is smart enough to figure out the actual possibilities (mathematically) for final records.

    This is what happens when a baseball fan muddles in football: You've practically given every team in the AFC East a near-winning record. Have you checked to see if that's even possible this year? I mean, each of these teams have to play each other, after all.

    I was alerted to your so-called "blog" by another Dolphin's fan. I find it reprehensible and uneducated, to say the least.

    Any fool can make predictions. Why don't you instead try explaining the actions of your coach Bill Belichick and how he cheated his way into three Superbowls (the only three the Patriots have ever even seen)? Instead, you want to pretend the past is the past (and set in stone), which it isn't.

    By the way, if you don't read Peter King (who's a huge Red Sox fan), then all your list proves is that maybe you aren't a true New England fan after all. Let's consider that you give the NY Jets and Bills such great records; King saw them as slumpers - and he visited their training camps.

    Plus, King is a fan of the NFC North (and the NFC in general) this year. You're utter blindness of what's really going on in football proves your inability to intelligently comment.

    ReplyDelete